Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Island Cup #1


So on Sunday I did the first race of the year. I had to travel all of 35min from my door, so I couldn't really turn it down. It is part of a great series here on the Island; they are very grass roots races, 10$ entry fee, draw prizes, and good times for all.

The race started out with a good climb and king of the mountain got a cookie, so I made sure to lead it out on lap one. By lap 2 I had a solid lead and was getting a little bored and made a mistake and flatted. I had some serious issues with trying to get the valve stem out (it was on my winter bike and had corroded on there after not being touched for 3 years or so), so I had the world's slowest flat change of about 5min (Thanks to the spectator for 'helping me find a pump' on the ground). By the time I was back in the race I was in 6th, however, this made the rest of the race super fun, as I was catching people and really got to pin it. On lap 3 I passed back up to 3rd, and at the start of lap 4 got up to 2nd. For the rest of the lap I chased super hard and almost caught Steve Noble. I ended up finishing 2nd, 3 seconds behind...

Now, the really sweet thing about this race is that Kate Scallion had made cookies for medals. Since I got 2, I did share one with the kid who had bonked and was standing next to me during awards and was drooling. I had to eat the other one to fuel my ride home. Not to worry though, I still got my cookie quota, as Catherine had a great race and won two cookies, and I ate most of hers when she was at work. Awww, tough life hunh?

Maybe I'll make her some cookies sometime...

No comments:

Post a Comment