Saturday, September 19, 2009

Where's Waldo now...



So post Hadley Challenge bike race I spent a few more days at home. I got put to work clearing trees and cutting firewood, in 3 days we did 20 big hardwoods.

Eventually I flew out west to Kamloops, unpacked, repacked, and headed for Canmore. I am now in Canmore getting paid to build bike trails! Yes, you read that right, I'm finally making money to build trails. There are 4 of us on the crew building IMBA style trails (read wide and easy) with 2 mini excavators (I operated one a few days ago for a few hrs, it was scary how tippy it was going down hills). I am getting to flag and design most of the trails, and layout a new race course for nationals next year.

In my spare time I went for a hike to the top of 2600m Mt Lady McDonald with co-worker Kate Scallion. Then last weekend I did a road race hill climb time trial up Mt Revelstoke. It is a 27km paved road with a very nice grade, and an elevation gain of 1600m. I was super tired the day before the race, but had a decent time trial and was able to hold onto 1st by 30sec or so for a time of 1:15:44.

Tomorrow I race the Bow 80, an 80km mtb race through epic trails in Kanaskis country, lots of it up into the alpine.

No comments:

Post a Comment